18 Nov 2012
- A link with Wigtownshire, Scotland?
It has come to our attention that there were people living in the parish of Stoneykirk, Wigtownshire in the 17th century with surnames similar to McElrea. One Michael McIlrea in Culmore was witness to a bond registered at Wigton (sic) Sheriff Court in June 1672. A subsequent search of the Wigtownshire genealogical site at Rootsweb turned up a list of 1684 parishioners of Stoneykirk. In Knockincrosh, we found Michael McKilrae (possibly the same one who was earlier in Culmore), Eupham McKilrae (following him on the list and so possibly his wife) and further down the list, Hellen McKilrae. As well, Maron McKilrae appears in Killeaster. We hope to find more by asking the Wigtownshire list for help.
8 Sept 2012
- The DNA project is showing results. We now know that the families tested in Canada and my own (PA>CA) are related! We don't know where the link is as yet, but it gives us hope and some clues. We can use all the contributors possible. For instance, my brother has a good autosomal match with Marjorie, but I have a much weaker match. This is because siblings receive different bits of DNA from their parents, so it pays to test a couple of people in each line.
8 Aug 2012
- DNA Articles - Cece Moore, a well known genetic genealogist, has written several articles about DNA testing and genealogy for beginners, which begin here: Geni.com
; each article has a link to the next. Cece also has a blog Your Genetic Genealogist
with more information about autosomal DNA testing.
19 Nov 2011
- The McElrea DNA study can be found here: McElrea DNA Study
. Discounts are available ONLY if kits are ordered from this page.
24 May 2011
- Another variant of the McElrea name has come to light. McYlrea (later changed to Mylrea) is found on the Isle of Man, which lies between Ireland and England. Just a quick look has found the name documented as far back as the 17th century. Now, the name is obviously Gaelic, but did it come from Ireland or .....?
13 May 2011
- Just for fun, here's a site about surnames. Judging by what they have for McElrea, the count is slightly off, but you might find something of interest here.